Things to do in Santorini
Pre wedding and after wedding suggestions
Santorini is an amazing island to explore. There are many things that you can do in the island.
Below you will find the 5 most popular landmarks in Santorini that you can visit.
- One of the most popular archaeological sites in Santorini is Akrtotiri where it has the oldest archaeological museum; The Pompeii of the Aegean.
- Ancient Thira is also very popular to visit which was built in the 8th century B.C. with an incredible view.
- Emporeiocasteli is the best well preserved castle in the island which will give you an unforgettable walking experience.
- Pyrgos Casteli travels you back in time to discover how the castle of Pyrgos was with the unique churches and amazing view.
- Oia castle is an amazing spot to go for the sunset and beautiful pictures.
We also recommend you to try the top 5 most popular experience in the island.
- Cruising the caldera! Its’ one of the most popular activities that everybody like to be part of in Santorini. We can also book this for you as a pre wedding or after wedding excursion for you and your guests, to enjoy cruising the caldera.
- Santorini is also famous for its wine. We can arrange private tours for you to enjoy a tour of the most popular wineries in the island and tasting the local wine.
- All day tour. This is a very popular tour which gets you to explore the island on a bus and visit the main hot spots in Santorini. We can also arrange this for you as a private tour.
- Hiking! If you like walking Santorini is the perfect island to go exploring. One of the most popular hike is from Fira to Oia. This path will lead you to the amazing scenery and will get you to walk along the famous cliffs for the exciting experience.
- Also one more unforgettable experience will be to enjoy a helicopter ride to explore the island from up above!
Santorini Island Map Information
Santorini Climate Information
The climate of Santorini, the largest and southernmost of the Cyclades, is typically Mediterranean, with mild and rainy winters, and warm and sunny summers. The Cyclades (which include islands like Delos, Mykonos, Paros and Ios) are located in the Aegean Sea.
Here are the average temperatures:
The rainfall pattern is typically Mediterranean, so that the rains are concentrated in autumn and winter, in particular from October to March. In practice, it rains very rarely from April to September, and almost never in summer, from June to August. The length of the dry season makes the landscape arid. The interior is largely flat, but there is also a hill, Mount Profitis Ilias, 567 metres (1,860 feet) high.
Here is the average precipitation:
In the warm season, starting from May, the Cyclades (and therefore also Santorini) are particularly affected by the Meltemi, a wind that blows from the north, persistently and in periods lasting a few days. This wind is able to make the air feel cooler than it is, but it can be also annoying and make the sea rough.
In winter, from December to mid-March, temperatures are generally mild, but waves of bad weather, with wind and rain, can not be excluded. Sometimes there can be cold days, with the north wind blowing, and maximum temperatures remaining below 10 °C (50 °F).
In spring, from mid-March to May, the weather is mild, and it gradually becomes more stable, with rain becoming gradually less frequent.
Summer, from June to mid-September, is warm and sunny. The wind almost always makes the heat bearable, although sometimes there can be some short heat waves of African origin.
Autumn, from mid-September to November, is initially warm and sunny, but then the first rains occur, and with each passing week they become more frequent. In autumn there may be many sunny days, but the rains in this season can sometimes be abundant.
The amount of sunshine in Santorini is great in summer, when clear skies are the norm. In winter, periods of bad weather, with cloudy skies, alternate with sunny periods.
The sea is warm enough for swimming from July to September, reaching a maximum of 24 °C (75 °F) in August: therefore it is not very warm, but it is acceptable.
Here are the average sea temperatures:
Sunset Time in Santorini (per month)
19:50pm until 20:15pm
20:15pm until 20:40pm
20:40pm until 20:51pm
20:50pm until 20:35pm
20:34pm until 19:56pm
19:54om until 19:09pm
19:08pm until 17:27pm
17:26pm until 17:06pm
Moon Phases in Santorini (summer fullmoon dates)
Full moon in Santorini Island creates a unique atmosphere at this volcanic scenery. It is a moment that you will remember forever under the full moon light.
See bellow the full moon phases of Santorini Island, Greece, selecting your preferred year (for example 2018, 2019, 2020…).